Accomplishments 1996 – 2015
Branch Out Burlington! is a 100% volunteer group (no paid personnel) made up of a core of dedicated citizens who work together to organize diverse tree-related activities that further our mission. We seek to encourage involvement from the community to care for and about trees. Each year, in cooperation with personnel from the Burlington Parks, Recreation and Waterfront, we plant and tend Burlington’s trees and offer educational opportunities to increase the public’s knowledge and appreciation of trees. Over 3,000 hours of volunteer effort are logged annually carrying out our many tree tasks. Below is a brief summary of our accomplishments since the inception of our organization.
- Planted and cared for over 1,610 trees in the Burlington Community Tree Nursery, with the help of hundreds and volunteers.
- Transplanted more than 1,036 trees from the Community Nursery to the streets and parks of Burlington, saving the city thousands of dollars annually.
- Organized planting of memorial trees to honor the loss of local citizens and the victims of 9/11.
- Coordinated programs to enlist the help of students from Champlain College, University of Vermont and several local middle and high schools.
- Wrote grants to generate funds to support tree planting and educational activities.
- Organized and hosted 17 Tree Walks in various parks and neighborhoods around Burlington; producing brochures with maps for the tree walks featuring over 340 trees.
- Recruited over 130 Tree Keepers to help with the care of city street trees and organized 11 Training Seminars to educate Tree Keepers about trees and how to plant and care for them.
- Held 7 Winter lectures (Tree Talks) with expert guest speakers, including notable celebrities like Bill McGibben (www.360.org), Warren Spinner (Burlington City Arborist) and Bill Mares (local writer).
- Hosted 16 Awesome Tree Contests to encourage the public to look up and appreciate Burlington’s trees, resulting in locating 182 of our tallest, widest, and most amazing and beautiful city trees.
- Held 8 Annual Tree Sales – selling over 2,000 trees and giving away over 100 to local non-profit organizations.
- Co-sponsored the 2014 Tree Climbing Competition put on by the New England Chapter of the International Society of Arborists held in Oakledge Park.
Community Street Tree Care
- Provided on-going care to Burlington’s street trees and green spaces, monitoring the health of hundreds of street trees; pruning off suckers and broken branches.